1 cup Basmati rice/ Jasmine rice
2 cups chopped chicken breast
2 tbsp olive/vegetable oil
½ cup Onions (finely chopped)
¼ cup green pepper
1 tbsp crushed garlic
1 tbsp crushed ginger
½ tsp Saffron (can be replaced with ¼ tsp turmeric)
2 to 3 cups of boiling plain chicken broth or (chicken flavor cube mix in 2 cups of water)
¼ – ½ cup Coconut milk (canned)
½ tsp Salt
1 tbsp Crushed Coriander
5 tbsp Chibundiro
2 tbsp pilau masala (ingredients below)
Pilau Masala Ingredients
1½ tbsp Cumin
1 tbsp Cardamon
½ tsp Black pepper
½ tsp Cinnamon
½ tsp Cloves
Mix the spices and store in a cool dry place. Some people prefer to purchase the whole spices and grind them at home for extra freshness.
– Heat oil on medium heat. Fry chicken pieces till they are white and beginning to brown.
– Add rice, green peppers and onions, and stir until the translucent color of rice starts to turn white.
– Add garlic, ginger and pilau masala, and continue to stir until the garlic is cooked then add saffron/tumeric.
– Stir for a minute then add Chibundiro
– In a separate bowl, mix boiling coconut milk with ½ cup of hot chicken broth.
– Add the coconut mixture to the rice.
– Cover the pot and turn heat to medium-low settings. Cook until the liquid is absorbed. Taste to see if you need to add salt.
** If you opt to bake it this is where you can transfer to a baking dish if you are going to bake the rice. Add remaining chicken broth and coriander and put in 180 degrees C oven to dry or until cooked.
^ If you would rather complete the cooking on the stove, again add the remaining chicken broth and coriander and mix well. Cover and leave on low heat till it dries or until it’s cooked.
Enjoy the delicous meal from Chibundiro’s Nature’s best!